Visa of a family member of a Hungarian citizen, C-EEA visa

family member visaA family member of a Hungarian citizen from a third country can receive a visa entitling him to enter and stay for no more than 90 days at a discount compared to the general rules.

Who is considered a family member?

Pursuant to Act I of 2007 on the entry and residence of persons with the right to free movement and residence, the following are considered family members:

  • the spouse;
  • a child under the age of 21 or a dependent;
  • dependent ancestor;
  • dependent partner (provided that they have established a registered partnership relationship according to Hungarian legislation).

Proof of family relationship

When submitting the C-EEG visa application, the family relationship must be proven. It is used to prove the family relationship: birth certificate, marriage certificate, partnership registration, adoption certificate or another method.

However, it is not enough to prove the family relationship with the documents mentioned above, it is also necessary to prove their authenticity (especially in the case of spouses and partners).

Material cover, costs related to entry and return

The visa-issuing authority assumes the existence of the necessary financial cover for the entire duration of the stay, as well as for the return or onward journey, during the procedure related to the C-EEG visa application, i.e. it is not necessary to prove it.

The course of the procedure

The visa application must be submitted at the Hungarian consulate. The visa application is free of charge for family members.

There must be a minimum of 15 days and a maximum of 3 months between the date of submission of the application and the start date of the planned entry.

The validity period of the passport must be 3 months longer than the last day of the planned stay, and the passport must have been issued within 10 years prior to the date of submission of the application.

The consul decides on issuing or refusing the visa within 15 days. You can appeal against the rejection decision within 8 days.

With a visa

With the visa, the family member can enter Hungary and stay here until the visa is valid. No later than the 93rd day after entry, a family member of an EEA citizen can submit an application for a residence card, which is valid for a maximum of 5 years, at the Immigration and Asylum Office. In order to apply for a residence card, it is necessary to prove the means of subsistence, so the financial cover for a long-term stay must be ensured.


Have a question?

If you feel I can help, feel free to contact me.